Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A-Z Challenge: T is for Tolkien

I'm not a big fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I have read them and seen the movie.  I'm not an expert or anything on the author, J.R.R. Tolkien, but I do know a little bit being that we didn't just pass over him in Children's Lit.

Tolkien was an English writer, poet, philologist, and university professor.  A philologist is a linguist who studies written text.  He is best known for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I have not read The Hobbit or see the movie, but I do kind of want to because I have read Lord of the Rings.

Ten Facts about Tolkien:

  • 1892, January 3 born.
  • 1925-1945, Rawlison and Bosworth Professor of English Language at Pembroke College, Oxford.
  • 1936 first work published with E.V. Gordon et al, Songs for the Philologist.
  • 1945-1959, Merton Professor of English Language and Literature at Merton College, Oxford.
  • 1967, final piece published, short story, Smith of Wootton Major (not including work published posthumously). 
  • 1973, September 2 died.
  • J.R.R. stands for John Ronald Reuel
  • Identified as the father of modern fantasy literature.
  • Never liked signing his works.
  • Story goes he came up with the idea for The Hobbit in the margins of a student's paper.
For JRR Tolkien's Bibliography which includes poetry, check the Wikipedia page here.

For more information check out these sites:

3 comments:

  1. Great facts about a great man.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Tolkien's work, especially The Hobbit (which I think is the best book of all of his writing, never mind what LOTR fandom says). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've mentioned, I haven't read The Hobbit (I was detoured by the cartoon movie that aired on the Disney Channel when I was a kid), but now that I'm all grown up and did enjoy the LOTR movies I think I should.

      Delete