Ten Facts about Tolkien:
- 1892, January 3 born.
- 1925-1945, Rawlison and Bosworth Professor of English Language at Pembroke College, Oxford.
- 1936 first work published with E.V. Gordon et al, Songs for the Philologist.
- 1945-1959, Merton Professor of English Language and Literature at Merton College, Oxford.
- 1967, final piece published, short story, Smith of Wootton Major (not including work published posthumously).
- 1973, September 2 died.
- J.R.R. stands for John Ronald Reuel
- Identified as the father of modern fantasy literature.
- Never liked signing his works.
- Story goes he came up with the idea for The Hobbit in the margins of a student's paper.
For JRR Tolkien's Bibliography which includes poetry, check the Wikipedia page here.
For more information check out these sites: