I read my first BSC book when I was in second grade (1989). It was #13 Goodbye, Stacey, Goodbye which is about Stacey's dad getting transferred back to New York City. I was hooked after reading that book. It didn't just get me into the BSC. It got me into reading. I was a reader before, but now I was reading chapter books.
I don't think I have a favorite baby-sitter. Depending upon my mood, I will choose a different girl--Kristy, Claudia, Stacey, Mary-Anne, Jessi, or Mal. Shannon, Logan, and Abby have never really been a favorite of mine, not to say I dislike them, because I don't! I do find I relate to both Mallory (especially when I had braces) and Mary-Anne the most. I don't have a favorite sitting charge.
Ten Facts About the Baby-Sitters Club:
- First book, Kristy's Great Idea, was published in 1986.
- Last book, Friends Forever Super Special #2: Graduation Day was published in 2000.
- Including BiTs (Baby-Sitters in Training) and failed BSC members there have been 17 babysitters. This does not include Abby's sister, Anna, who declined to join. It does include the two Baby-Sitter Agency sitters who pranked the girls by pretending to be members.
- Stoneybrook is a fictitious town in Connecticut created by Ann M. Martin. The nearest city, Stamford, is real.
- 1990, TV show was filmed. It has aired on Disney, Nickelodeon (according to Wikipedia, but this I do not remember), and HBO. Danny Tamborelli of Pete and Pete and All That fame starred as The Walking Disaster, Jackie Rodowsky.
- 1995, The Baby-Sitters Club movie was released with Schuyler Fisk as Kristy Thomas; Rachel Leigh Cook as Mary-Anne Spier; Bre Blair as Stacey McGill, Larisa Oleynik as Dawn Schafer; Christian Oliver as Luca, a 17-year-old boy 13-year-old Stacey has a crush on; Ellen Burstyn as Mrs. Habersham, Mary-Anne and Dawn's next door neighbor; Austin O'Brien as Logan Bruno; Marla Sokoloff as Cokie Mason; Bruce Davison as Watson Brewer; Kyla Pratt as Becca Ramsey; and Scarlett Pomers as Suzi Barrett.
- Not including the spinoffs there are 218 titles in the complete series.
- Three spin-offs: Little Sister about Kristy's stepsister, Karen Brewer; Kids in Ms. Coleman's Class actually a spin-off of Little Sister about the kids in Karen's second grade class; and California Diaries stories about Dawn's friends in California.
- Prequel: The Summer Before was published in 2010. This is one month before the series was re-released with a new cover for a new audience.
- All the handwriting in the novels was created by one person in Scholastic's art department!
For a complete list of books (which I could post here, but it would be way too long) check out Wikipedia: List of the Baby-Sitters Club novels or Scholastic: The Baby-Sitters Club.
For more information on the series check out: