Friday, December 2, 2011

Book Review: Unlocked: A Love Story by Karen Kingsbury




While reading this I really felt I was going to rate the book a 3 out of 5.  I felt Kingsbury didn't know much about autism and was trying to create a character that was not believable.  However, after the end of the story is a reader letter stating that the idea for the story came from a boy who went through something similar as Holden.  It opened my eyes that this could happen.  I had to give the book another star right there.

Holden Harris is autistic.  He was not born that way.  At the age of three he got sick after receiving a huge amount of vaccinations and never came out of his shell.  His mother believes it was the heavy dose of shots that caused his autism, but there is no 100% concrete evidence to prove this.

Holden connects to his lost friend and his family through music.  This book shows the power of music, something I truly believe in.

This story is about Holden reconnecting with a lost friend, the lost friend reconnecting with God and her lost family, and a lost school reconnecting with itself.  It's powerful. 


There are some sad parts that may make readers cry. Many of the jocks are bullies and it plays out in a typical manner, but it also teaches a lesson, I think.

Side note: when my mom saw the book she commented that it wasn't Christian fiction.  Hello!  Karen Kingsbury is one of the most well-known Christian fiction authors out there.  This book is definitely in the Christian fiction category.

I give this story 4 out of 5 stars and I read it for pure pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment