Thursday, December 1, 2011

Book Review: Last Light (Restoration #1) by Terri Blackstock



I finished this book in October.  I'm doing a review now as I am going to soon start reading Night Light (Restoration #2).

I recieved this book as a free ebook from Christianbooks.com (I was not asked to do a review.  I read the book for pleasure).  I wish the rest of the series was free on the net but it's not, so I have to settle for checking them out of my library.

The story is about surviving after all power, all electronics, that's anything powered by electricity including batteries, goes out.  There's no TV, radio, cars, microwaves, refrigerators, anything like that.  I am very intrigued by this and want to find out what caused it to happen.  I was saddened at the end to learn that this was just the first book in the series and I would not get my answer in this book. I am excited to read the rest of the series.

The story focuses on the Brannings in Alabama and how their community survives.  They have to learn to rely on each other.  In the beginning they seem to be against each other, hoarding things only for themselves and their family, but in the end they realize they need to share if they want to survive.

The oldest Branning child arrived home from Washington DC where her fiance lives.  She prefers the big city to the small southern town her parents and siblings live.  It's hard for her to adjust without technology.  She desperately wants to go back to DC and to her fiance.  Often, she wonders why he hasn't come for her.

In the neighborhood there are murders and robbery!  No one knows who did it, but a few people are supsected, like the doctor.
SPOILER
.
.
.
.
A friend of the girl's father decides he has to leave town to check on all his bookstores around the area.  The girl, her name is Deni, wants to go with him, so she can get to DC.  On the way out of town she learns he is the thief and murderer.
.
.
.
.
END SPOILER

I really enjoyed this story.  I won't give the ending away, but it was really good.  It wasn't very surprising and it wasn't what I hoped for, but it was good and makes me want to read the rest of the series.  Terri Blackstock is great with suspense.

I give the book 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment