Friday, December 30, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



The Hunger Games are an annual televised event pitting twelve adolescents ages 12-18 against each other where only one survives.  The story revolves around one contestant, 16 year old Katniss Everdeen.

Katniss lives in a dystopian world named Panem, which built up after the destruction of North America.  The "country" has been divided into 13 districts, with 13 having been destroyed before the story begins.  Katniss and her family live in District 12, the coal mining section and the poorest.  Her father died in a mining accident and Katniss feels it is her duty to feed her mother and sister, so she goes hunting illegally with her best friend, Gale Hawthorne.

Every year, the Capitol hosts The Hunger Games.  To be eligible, it is not something one wants to be eligible for, one has to be between the ages of 12-18.  Each person gets entries into a lottery based on their ages.  Extra entries are given for accepting food rations.  This makes it more likely for a 17 year old to be picked than a 12 year old, but unluckily, Katniss's 12 year old sister, Prim, is chosen to represent the female side of District 12.  Katniss volunteers herself to take her sister's place and is thrust into The Hunger Games.

There is so much more I could say about the plot, but I don't want to spoil any of the reading experience for anyone who hasn't read the book.

The Hunger Games reminds me of a real life Survivor with the competitors dying instead of being voted out.  I'm not for watching people die or brutally kill each other, but I think watching this on TV might be quite interesting.  In the story, The Games are broadcast throughout Panem and everyone's forced to watch them.  For certain events in The Games, school is let out.  Many of the districts don't get much access to electricity, but it is guaranteed when The Games are on.

Collins has a way with storytelling.  She had me gripped to every page.  I felt I knew what was going to happen, but I wanted to read on anyway, and as I read, I was surprised.  I didn't know what would happen.  I didn't know how brutal the Capitol would be, how The Games would play out, or anything.  I was glued to this book.  Everyone I've spoken to loved this book and I'm no exception.  I'm just upset it took me this long to read it.

I give it 5/5 stars and I read it for pure pleasure.  The movie is set to be released March 23, 2012 in USA according to imdb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment