Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review: Elevating Overman by Bruce Ferber





Ira Overman receives laser eye surgery and his whole life changes.  He and his sort-of-best friend Jake Rosenfarb think Overman has become some kind of superhero.  Things are going Overman's way.  He's becoming a better person and able to correct past wrongs not just for himself, but for others as well.  He has received a second chance.

It was an interesting story.  None of the characters were likeable and I still felt this sense of depression, dread, or something along those lines with Overman even though he was experiencing his second chance. In some places he makes great use of his second chance and others he throws it away almost as if he doesn't believe things can get better.  In the end, he gets his ultimate second chance and he does do right there.

For me, it was an okay story.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, and that's why I give it just three stars.

The author, Bruce Ferber, is an award winning comedy writer and producer for such shows as Bosom Buddies, Growing Pains, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Coach, and Home Improvement.  Knowing this made me more interested in reading the story as he has been part of some shows that I've enjoyed over the years.

I read this as a review request using the Kindle app on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment