Friday, January 27, 2012

Book Review: The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig

I read this book when I was younger somewhere between sixth and eighth grade.  I do believe I enjoyed it more now than then.

We learn a lot about the Holocaust, the nasty things the Germans did to the Jews.  What is not as commonly discussed is how the Russians treated the Polish during World War II.

Esther Hautzig has presented a wonderfully tragic story of life in Siberia as a captive of the Russians along with her father, mother, and grandmother.  Her grandfather was separated on a different train.  She came from a well off family, but in Russia, they had nothing.  Starting off, Esther's parents and grandmother work in a coal mine while she works on a potato farm.

Following Esther's five year journey in Siberia touches the heart.  It's a beautiful story everyone needs to read.

I re-read the book for pure pleasure and I give it 5/5 stars.


1 comment:

  1. OMG I just read Shades of Grey and this is a very similar story. Lina and her family are taken from their home and sent to Siberia to work on a potato and beet farm. They are tortured, harassed, and mentally and physically abused. This story was interesting so I'm interested in The Endless Steppe. It would be interesting to see how similar or different their stories are. And it's cool you were able to find more enjoyment from it as an adult than you did when you were younger. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete