Saturday, May 11, 2013

Book Review: Harry Potter: Page to Screen by Bob McCabe





Emotional! If you are a fan of the movies you will truly enjoy this book. Being a part of the fandom while the movies were being made makes it that much more special when I read about it. If I read a book on the making of Star Wars it would be cool, but I wouldn't feel the emotion because I wasn't alive when they made the original three. I was born in 1982. But, with Harry Potter I was there with the anticipation of the next book, the next movie, the next whatever. When I look at behind the scenes pictures it reminds me of those times what I felt then and what's gone. This isn't the making of one movie or even three movies. This is the making of 8 movies. This is ten years of filmmaking. As of right now that's 1/3 of my life. That's a little less than half of the main actors' lives. I think that's what really hits. We watch many of the actors grow up in these movies. Many movie series don't span such a wide era that we truly see something like this. And even series that do span that much time don't do it consecutively or with the same cast and crew. Some crew has changed, like directors and a certain headmaster, but for the most part it is the same people.

This book details so much about the filming, the locations, the creatures, the costumes, the behind the scenes. I'm sure there is plenty more that can be written. It would fill volumes. This book contains a lot and enough to satisfy. The pictures are brilliant. Behind the scene pictures, concept art, close-ups of pieces that we don't see clearly enough in the movies. We see the extreme detail taken on EVERYTHING and by everything I mean everything. This book is a must read for the movie fan.

Opening this book I felt like Hermione picking up her "light reading" in Sorcerer's Stone.

I am a little disappointed music was not mentioned!

I read this book for pure pleasure.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.




No comments:

Post a Comment