Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Review: Against the Odds by J. Abrams




I'm not into romance novels like this so maybe I'm not being fair, but I am reviewing compared to what I like to read.  That's all I can do.

The whole thing is so cliched it's not even funny.  We have the tall, "dark", and handsome bachelor (he's actually white, while she's the dark one).  The two instantly fall in love.  It's all perfect.  Even the bad stuff that happens is perfect.   Everything happens so quickly.  It's a rush to get it all in one story.  It's not believable.

Raine is a model from Atlanta who divorced her husband Jerome and moved in with her best friend in Roswell, New Mexico.  Her best friend and her best friend's husband own a ranch.  Living on the ranch is Hayden, an extremely tall man with great abs.  Raine instantly falls head over heels for him.  She's the narrator so we know what she's thinking, but we don't know what Hayden's thinking.  We find out later that he also fell in love with her the moment he saw her.  The couple does fight, but the fights are so cliched and "perfect" trying to get that hint of suspense but it just doesn’t work.  I know what's going to happen before I turn the page.  The story is very predictable.   

Everything that happens in this story is so perfect.  All the answers fall into place.  It's too easy.  Everytime Raine and Hayden run into  a "problem" the answer comes to quickly and too right. It made it hard to want to read the story. 

Another negative is the story is full of telling and not showing.  It even skips to Hayden's point of view (third person and not first like with Raine) to tell us instead of showing us.  It's irritating and does little for the story.

The book does get a lot of good reviews on Goodreads so perhaps it is just because I'm not into the "I love you more than the world" straight romances like this.

(If you compare this to my other reviews it seems I have a lot more to say when I don't like a book than when I do).

I read this as a review request via PDF on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.




No comments:

Post a Comment