Friday, April 27, 2012

Book Review, Trailer, & Author Interview: Sweetness (Bold as Love #1) by Lindsay Paige

PG-13, 2 Stars

Lindsay Paige is a young adult romance author from North Carolina.  She is a huge hockey fan with her favorite team being the Pittsburgh Penguins, which she reflects in her character Emily in the series Bold as Love.

What are your favorite genres to read?

YA, Romance, and Historical Romance.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

Jessica Park, Laura Kreitzer, Jodi Picoult, and Nicholas Sparks.

What author, dead or alive, would you most like to meet?

I think Jessica Park would be a fascinating person to actually meet.

What was your favorite book as a child?

It wasn't until middle school that I really started reading.  My favorite book from that time period would be The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks.

When is your ideal writing time?

With a new job, whenever I can!  I like writing in the evenings the most, though.

What inspires you to write?

Life.  Music.  People.  Reading.

How do you combine going to school and being a published author?

My life is all about balancing.  I usually reserve two days away for schoolwork and schoolwork only.  That helps a lot, as long as I stick to it.

What is your opinion on negative reviews and criticism?

I honestly don't believe there are negative reviews.  There's some quote that basically says no one reads the same book.  Everyone has an opinion and every opinion is valuable to me because it helps my writing.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

I would want to try living in London!  I've always wanted to go and I'm positive I would love it.

How did you become a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins?

I used to be a Carolina fan and then they traded my favorite player across the nation.  I needed to find a new team to like and the Penguins were it.

Twilight or Harry Potter?

Twilight.  I've never read Harry Potter.

Facebook or Twitter?

Facebook.

How did you come up with the title for the book, Sweetness, and the series, Bold as Love?

A friend of mine actually came up with the title for the book.  I chose Bold as Love for the series title because my characters must be bold as love in order to stay together.

What character from the series do you feel you most relate to?

Emily is very much like myself, but I can relate to Jake as well.

Do you have a favorite quote or passage from Sweetness you'd like to share?


"Right then, hearing the tears that had to be falling from her beautiful brown eyes, I wanted nothing more than to take each piece and put it back together again until she was whole.  I had to do it.  I had to for her and me.  Maybe if Emily can be restored and healed, then maybe, just maybe, so could I."

For more visit her website: http://authorlindsaypaige.blogspot.com





My review of the first book in the series, Sweetness.

Has great potential, but needs proper editing.

The story feels very reminiscent of Twilight.  There is no supernatural.  No paranormal.  No vampires or werewolves or anything of that sort.  It's a love story between Jake and Emily.  The love story is very much like Bella and Edward's.  Emily has everything wrong with her.  She's not a happy girl.  She lives with her dad and her mom is gone.  She has no friends. It's a sad state for her.  Jake is no Edward, but he is supposed to be her knight in shining armor like Edward is to Bella.

I was not very happy with the character of Jake.  He's very Gary Stu, if you will.  He seems to be that knight in shining armor for everyone and that's just a little much for a teenage boy.  He's supposed to be everything and more.

The story did get better.  Emily has problems she has to deal with.  I'm not going to spoil it by saying what those problems are or how she deal with them.  There are some good things in this book and that is one of them.  The story is sweet and gentle.

But, like I started out, the book needs proper editing.  There are many errors everywhere.  I was able to get through them, but will the average reader put up with them?  Most of the story is in present tense, but there are a few times it switches to past tense for no reason.  Sometimes a word was missing or the wrong was used.  Simple editing can take away these mistakes.  There were times when the dialogue didn't seem natural.  It was too proper, too educational than the way people really talk.  Reading the dialogue out loud can overcome this issue in writing.

Lindsay Paige has the potential to be a great writer so don't give up on her.

Read as a review request using the Kindle app on my laptop.  All opinions stated are my own.  I was not compensated in any way for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment