Saturday, July 13, 2013

Book Review: The Rockin' Chair by Steven Manchester





John's wife, Alice , has Alzheimer's. This leads to the end of her life.  The end of her life leads to some retrospective thinking for John as well as the return of his grandkids to the family farm.  Death brings the kids home.  Death brings the memories back.

The story opens with John and his daughter-in-law, Ellie, taking care of Alice, but the story really revolves around John's son, Hank, and Hank's children coming home to the farm.  Hank lives on the farm, but not in the same house as John and has a bad relationship with his father.  His three children live in various US cities and have their own problems to deal with.

What is the importance of the rocking chair we find in the title?  You have to read to find that out.  This blogger is not up for spoilers.

It's another Steven Manchester story.  He has this style where I feel he's telling the timeline of a story rather than really diving deep into the tale.  I don't know if that's an accurate description, but it is the closest I can get.  I didn't appreciate this one as much as the other two, but it was still a good read and that's what's important.

I read this as a review request using the Kindle App on my laptop.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.



1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book.

    Teena
    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2013/07/book-rockin-chair-2013-steven-manchester.html

    ReplyDelete