Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Review: Sweet Nothings by Janis Thomas





Caveat emptor.  OK, what's the saying for let the reader beware?

This is not a clean romance.  It's not a smutty, trashy romance novel, but it does contain one sex scene, which my innocent mind would not allow me to read, and a few cuss words here and there.

This book reminded me of a cheesy Christmas movie.  I guess that's appropriate with most of my reading having taken place during the Christmas season.  This is not a Christmas story.  I'm not saying that.  It's like a cheesy Christmas romance movie where you roll your eyes and know what's going to happen next but you simply cannot look away until it's over.

Ruby's husband, Walter, runs away from their life, their marriage, their house with a co-worker he deems his soul mate named Colleen.  This leaves Ruby in quite the mess as she has to deal with her two teenage kids, the mortgage on the house which she finds has not been paid in some time, the fact that Walter has stripped their bank account bare, and her not so successful cake shop named The Muffin Top (you can probably guess now why the title is Sweet Nothings).  The story revolves around Ruby putting her life back together and finding out who she is and what she wants out of a romance.  I did say there is a sex scene so a guy shows up, obviously, but I'm not going to spoil anything else in case you do want to read this for yourself.

I won this book in a giveaway at booktrib.com.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment