Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book Review: The Here and Now by Ann Brashares





From the author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants comes a story of time travel, romance, and saving the future.

With a plague overtaking their time, Prenna James and her family join a group of people who travel back in time to 2012.  On this travel, her father didn't make it and as her brother was a victim of the plague, it left only Prenna and her mom among the others.

The time travelers have many rules to follow, two of them being not telling anyone who they are and not allowing them to get close (especially physically) with anyone of the current time.  Unfortunately for Prenna she becomes close with one Ethan Jarves.

The story isn't about romance.  That's a side plot to what's really going on.  A supposedly homeless man wants Prenna to change the course of the future.  Something bad happens on a certain date and he knows if it can be stopped the dystopian future that awaits them will not be so messed up.

This story is technically science fiction but it feels like it goes along with the realistic fiction I liked to read and I think that's what helped me enjoy it more.  I have read The Traveling Pants series and this book is the first thing outside that of Brashares that I have read.  It shows me she is able to write successfully about other characters.  I'm going to have to check out other stuff by her.

I read this as a review request from Netgalley.com using the Kindle app on my phone.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.



No comments:

Post a Comment