Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Book Review: Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin




Audiobooks.com had a deal for Sirius XM subscribers for a 7 day free trial.  Taking them up on the offer I downloaded a book from my list and the one I chose (and that happened to be in audio format) was Please Look After Mom.

Please Look After Mom was written in  Korean by Kyung-Sook Shin and translated into English by Chi-Young Kim.  The audio book was read by Mark Bramhall, Samantha Quan, Janet Song, and Bruce Terk.  The book is divided into four parts and each narrator read one part.

From the perspective of a daughter, son, father, and then the mother, this is the story of a mother who goes missing when she does not get on the train with her husband.  He gets off at the next stop and goes back to where she should be, but she is no longer there.

The children, now adults with lives of their own, gather together to create posters to help find their missing mother when they realize they have no current picture of her.  This leads the eldest daughter to reminisce about her past with her mom.

Captivating, appealing, a bit suspenseful.  I wanted to know what was going to happen.  I was worried along with the family and looking for any hope of them finding their mom.  It held my attention long after I stopped listening.  I thoroughly appreciated the story.  Shin did a good job writing the story and I believe Kim did a good job translating it.

I listened to this book via Audiobooks.com for pure pleasure.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.



No comments:

Post a Comment