Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Review: Wonder by R.J. Palacio

I won't describe what I look like.  Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
Wonder is a fascinating tale about a boy born with facial deformities starting school in the fifth grade for the first time.  His story chronicles being to the outcast to becoming the hero.  Auggie Pullman is the kind of character you can and want to root for.

I won't describe what I look like.  Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

The book was written in first person and separated into eight sections.  Each section focused on one character with the first, last, and 6th section focusing on Auggie.  I liked the sections on the other characters, but I really liked going to back to August as the narrator.  The other sections allowed the reader to see things from other characters points of view and how they related to Auggie.  It helped form a bigger picture than just what was seen through Auggie's eyes.  That worked best for this story.

Overall, it was a captivating story.  I felt Auggie's pain as well as his joy and triumphs.  He has to deal with situations in ways other kids don't.  Due to his facial deformities he's an outcast.  People stare at him.  People treat like he's got cooties.  They don't want to touch or be near him.  But, he inadvertently shows them they're wrong.  Some learn.  Unfortunately, some don't.

The copy I am reviewed is an uncorrected advanced reader's copy provided by netgalley.com.  It was a true pleasure to read and that's why I gave it 4/5 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment