Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Book Review: At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks



         At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks is the sequel to True Believer.  The first book introduces readers to Jeremy Marsh, a writer for a science magazine, who comes to the small town of Boone Creek, NC to investigate mysterious lights at a cemetery.  He meets and falls in love with the town librarian, Lexie Darnell, who tries her hardest not to fall in love with him.

        At First Sight starts where True Believer leaves off.  Lexie is pregnant and it's a girl, as predicted by her grandmother, Doris, whose psychic ability is to correctly guess the sex of unborn babies.  This story deals with the trials and tribulations of an engaged couple expecting a child.  It deals with Jeremy moving from New York City to Boone Creek and suffering from writer's block.  Lexie's ex-boyfriend, her best friend, Jeremy's best friend, and the crazy mayor play into the drama surrounding their lives along with mysterious emails sent to Jeremy.

        Lexie appears a tad different to me in this book than in True Believer, but it could be because she is with Jeremy and not trying to not get with him.  Also,  I didn't feel the same connection to the town as the last one, but this story isn't about the town.  At First Sight moves a lot faster than True Believer and there is less character development.  It is the sequel with most of the characters introduced in the first book, so development is not needed, but it does feel missing.

        They say the ending is surprising.  They were not kidding!  It was nothing I expected. I expected a lot.
SPOILER ALERT!
.
.
.
        I thought the baby would die or we would find out the baby was Rodney's and not Jeremy's or Lexie would leave Jeremy for Rodney or something along those lines.  I don't want to give away the ending as that would ruin the entire story, but it is not what anyone or at least not what I expected.  I don't cry while reading, but this was one time I was almost on the brink of tears.
.
.
.
END OF SPOILER!
        I wish books had spoiler tags so if/when your eyes glance over to the next page you won't accidentally get spoiled.  I'd read the left page, my eyes would casually glance over to the right page, and I'd see something spoilerish.  Ah, well.

        Nicholas Sparks is a great storyteller.  I did not plan on finishing the book this morning, but I couldn't put it down.  I had to know the ending.

     I give this book 4/5 stars.

I was not contacted by anyone to review this book.  I read it for pure pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment