Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Book Review: Double Clutch (Brenna Blixen #1) by Liz Reinhardt



Brenna Blixen has moved back home after spending a year with her mom and stepdad in Denmark.  Being homeschooled allowed her to do a split schedule upon returning.  She spends her mornings at the regular high school and her afternoons at the tech school learning graphic arts.  Both places she meets a guy who steals her heart.

One guy she wants with her brain and her heart, while the other guy she wants with her heart and not her brain.  How can she decided what to do?  What are the secrets the two boys hold?  What is their connection?

I wasn't totally enamored by this book.  It was just okay for me.  I did want to know what was going to happen next, but I don't know.  I can't say it was predictable, but I also can't say it wasn't.  It's a typical young adult romance novel without the vampires and junk.  If you like cliche YA you'll like this book.

I hate thinking of self-published novels in this way, but I think this is one that would have been a lot better going through a major publishing company. I think it could have, too, though I'm no editor, just a book reviewer.  The characters needed some editing.  They were properly cliche.  We have Brenna, the "new" girl who is on the outside seemingly with no friends though she does have her best friend from when she originally lived in town and yet, two boys like her.  Hm.  These two boys are yin and yang.  They're good and evil with a splice of the other tucked inside.  Brenna has to choose between good and evil but there's a hidden layer so she can have both.

I will admit the cover is what drew me in.  Don't judge a book by the cover, but we all do. It's a picture of a pretty girl in front of a chain length fence.  That doesn't sound like much, but it was enough to make me want to enter the giveaway that I eventually won.

There are two other books in the series. This wasn't a great book for me, but part of me does want to continue on.

I won this book in a giveaway.  All opinions are my own.

2 comments: